Start with a creamy white cube of firm tofu. Drying it first, then steam it. Tofu steamed, get started on its transformation... add in some fresh, crunchy chopped celery. Fold in my creamy Dijon-lemon herb sauce. Easy prep, chill for a bit and enjoy as lunch or a snack. Nibble this stuff all day long if you are a grazer.
Serve on top of a green salad, munch with some rice crackers or roll it into a wrap.
* * *
Best tip for preparing tofu is to begin by gently squeezing out as much excess "tofu water" as you can Using a handful of sturdy paper towels and a bit of muscle power. The more moisture you can get out, the more flavour can be absorbed in. This "drying" of tofu is also very important if you are going to saute, sear or fry your tofu. Less surface liquid - better crispy edges when you lay into a hot oiled saute pan. ..
Protein Craving. My inspiration for making this? I was craving a protein-rich lunch that I could whip together in a few minutes. Tofu crunch salad is versatile. Slather it on some crackers, press it between two slices of bread, roll it into a wrap or pile it on top of a greens salad. Flavor, complex texture and protein in every zing-crunchy bite..
Easy Crunchy Tofu Salad
vegan, makes 5 cups
1 lb firm tofu, drained
1 1/4 cups celery, chopped
3/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (or sub in any herb - dill, basil, cilantro, tarragon..)
4-5 Tbsp Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
pinch lemon zest
1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional to sweeten up a bit more - apple is also another nice sweet accent)
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp garlic granules
1/4 tsp fine black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
a few dashes mustard powder
(you can get creative with the spices you'd like to try)
1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
1/2 green apple, finely diced
for more saltiness add in a splash of tamari (or salt to taste if needed)
1. Squeeze your tofu dry with a paper towel and slice into large cubes. Steam for about 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add all your ingredients and whisk into a creamy sauce. Fold in the tofu and begin breaking into smaller bits with a fork. Fold well until all the tofu is coated.
3. Fold in the parsley and celery.
4. Adjust salt and spices as desired.
5. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve - allow at least an hour for the tofu to chill and the flavors to marinate.
Serve with a variety of crisps, crackers and toasts. Enjoy!
Thank you to lunchboxbunch.com for this recipe.